When you think about football rankings, you think of the official website of Student Sections in Southern California.
Before we get to the Preseason SoCal Student Section Rankings for the 2019 Football Season, which is next week, we might as well let you know that we do follow football.
Let’s get to our SoCal Preseason Football Rankings. Don’t judge, but debate. Remember, it’s only preseason rankings.
SO CAL STUDENT SECTION TOP 20 FOOTBALL RANKINGS
1. Mater Dei of Santa Ana (Trinity) 13-2
QB Bryce Young will look to send coach Bruce Rollinson a winner in his last season. His go-to guy will be WR Kody Epps as St. John Bosco will look to takeover the Trinity League and the CIF-Southern Section. DT Sefita Tupe and OLB Kobah Fuamatu will look to lead the Monarchs defense this season.
2. St. John Bosco of Bellflower (Trinity) Last Year Record: 13-1
QB DJ Ulagalelei is looking for redemption against his league foe and luckily he returns a bunch of weapons. WR Logan Loya and RB Nathaniel Jones will look to help their quarterback as they plan to make things easier. LB Kourt Williams and DB Jonathan Vaughns will look to return the ball to their quarterback in a swift manner.
3. Centennial of Corona (Big VIII) 12-1
WR Gary Bryant Jr. will look to lead the Huskies past the big two of the CIF-SS. He will need help from WR Aaron Smith as well as defensive stars DB Isaiah Young and OLB Jacob Mitchell. The Huskies goal is to get past the semifinals.
4. Narbonne of Harbor City (Marine) 10-4
The Gauchos defense will look to keep the dynasty alive. Anything less than a CIF State Title is not good enough. DB duo Darion Green-Warren and Brandon Jones will lead Narbonne this season. Narbonne has a nice WR duo as well in Traeshon Holden and Josh Jackson. It’s State Title or bust this season.
5. Calabasas (Marmonte) 10-3
This might be the best Calabasas team ever. QB Jaden Casey has another fantastic WR duo this season in Johnny Wilson and Jermaine Burton. Stop their passing game, no problem. They also have RB Jyden King. This offense is going to be scary.
6. JSerra of San Juan Capistrano (Trinity) 9-3
The best team that may end in third place in the state. Doesn’t help that St. John Bosco and Mater Dei are in the same league. Chris Street will look to lead the offense at running back while finding open holes from tackle Jeff Persi. Jaden Genova and Malaki Te’o will make a great combo at linebacker.
7. Mission Viejo (South Coast) 6-6
It’s time to finally see what Coach Chad Johnson is really about. Year two should be a challenge, but this is the Diablos and I’m going with that defense. DE Lance Keneley will lead the defense with help from DT Keanu Tanuvasa. Pretty strong defensive line, especially when you add Logan Schwenke, a Santa Margarita of Rancho Santa Margarita transfer. TE TJ Roelen (I think his dad a basketball coach, not sure.) will get help on offense with two other Santa Margarita transfers in QB Peter Costelli and WR Chase Nenad. This is going to be interesting when they face Santa Margarita in week one.
8. Cathedral Catholic of San Diego (Western) 12-2
The Dons return eight starters on offense including QB DJ Ralph. OLB Jordan Allen will lead the defense with help from DT Logan Berzins.
9. Oaks Christian of Westlake Village (Marmonte) 12-1
The Lions lose three huge pieces from last season, but return WR Bryce Farrell and OG Victor Benitez. The defense will be led by LB Mister Williams. It will be tough to match Calabasas, but this is Oaks Christian, they’ll be ready.
10. Corona del Mar of Newport Beach (Sunset) 11-2-1
A lot is expected at CdM with three big offensive stars all headed to the Pac-12. Washington-commit QB Ethan Garbers is expected to have a huge year and add that with TE Mark Redman, who is also going to Washington and Stanford-commit WR John Humphreys. This is going to be a fun team to watch this fall.
11. Sierra Canyon of Chatsworth (Gold Coast) 12-4
The Trailblazers lost some key players from their CIF State Finalist squad, but return QB Chayden Peery, RB Hunter Williams and WR/DB DJ Harvey. Not a bad offensive side. With Harvey on both sides of the field, he will get help MLB JD Hernandez. Basketball isn’t the only thing buzzing this school year.
12. Serra of Gardena (Mission) 5-6
Last season was a tough one for the Cavaliers, but QB Doug Brumfield returns and will have WR Lavon Bunkley-Shelton back as well. LB Justin Houston is the key player for Serra and he will also getting help on his side with CB Devyn King. This will be a much better season for Serra.
13. St. Augustine of San Diego (Western) 10-4
The Saints will once again be in a battle for supremacy in the Western League and in San Diego and with TE Michael Ambagsteer and WR Sam Scaife, the offense can matchup with Cathedral Catholic. Add that with DB Tyson McWilliams leading the defense and once again the Holy Bowl will be a can’t miss matchup on 10/18.
14. Grace Brethren of Simi Valley (Camino) 14-2
The defending CIF State Champs will have a defensive duo back this season with LB/RB Josh Henderson and DE Soane Toia. With the help of QB Mikey Zele, Henderson will look to fill the void left by Lontrelle Diggs.
15. Helix of La Mesa (Grossmont-Hills) 8-5
RB Elelyon Noa is back and will look to leave on top for Helix. His defensive teammate will have a fantastic DB duo in Xavier Hamlett and Delshawn Taylor. The Scots will look to bounce back in the Open this season.
16. Norco (Big VIII) 9-3
The entire offense is back this season with QB Shane Illungworth leading the way. WR Jaden Navarrette and RB Jaydn Ott will be a big help as they hope to top Centennial this season.
17. Servite of Anaheim (Trinity) 4-5
The Friars returns a lot this season. RB Derek Fuentes returns and will have plenty of help on offense with OT Nick Martinez. On defense DE/TE Jake Overman will be one of many key players back for Servite, which look to battle in the toughest football league in the country.
18. Lawndale (Ocean) 14-2
I am going to love this defense this season with S Makell Esteen, CB Elijah Jackson and DE Tuli Tuipulotu. It will be a tough task to replace RB Jordan Wilmore, but QB Jalon Daniels will look to keep the Cardinal offense flying.
19. Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks (Mission) 9-4
QB Cooper Meek will look to match his passing game with his running game. The pressure will come off thanks to an explosive defense coming back in linebacker duo Jake Moore and Wade Johnson. Good luck getting past those two.
20. Upland (Baseline) 12-3
A new era has arrived at Upland with Daryl Thomas taking over the helm as the new coach. RB/LB Justin Flowe leads the offense and pretty much the team as he is one of the best players in the West Coast. He will help on defense with LB Tyevin Ford aside him.
INLAND EMPIRE PRESEASON TOP 20 RANKINGS
- Centennial of Corona (Big VIII) 12-1
- Norco (Big VIII) 9-3
- Upland (Baseline) 12-3
- Rancho Verde of Moreno Valley (Ivy) 13-1
- Vista Murrieta (Southwestern) 8-3
- Rancho Cucamonga (Baseline) 7-5
- Cajon of San Bernardino (Citrus Belt) 12-2
- Heritage of Menifee (Ivy) 7-4
- Redlands East Valley (Citrus Belt) 7-4
- Roosevelt of Eastvale (Big VII) 5-6
- Kaiser of Fontana (Sunkist) 14-2
- Citrus Hill of Perris (Mountain Pass) 12-1
- San Jacinto (Mountain Pass) 12-2
- Murrieta Valley (Southwestern) 6-5
- Eisenhower of Rialto (San Andres) 14-1
- Santiago of Corona (Big VIII) 7-5
- Temecula Valley (Southwestern) 6-6
- Ayala of Chino Hills (Palomares) 7-4
- Adelanto (Desert Sky) 12-2
- Etiwanda (Baseline) 4-6
LOS ANGELES PRESEASON TOP 20 RANKINGS
- St. John Bosco of Bellflower (Trinity) 13-1
- Narbonne of Harbor City (Marine) 10-4
- Calabasas (Marmonte) 10-3
- Oaks Christian of Westlake Village (Marmonte) 12-1
- Sierra Canyon of Chatsworth (Gold Coast) 12-4
- Serra of Gardena (Mission) 5-6
- Grace Brethren of Simi Valley (Camino) 14-2
- Lawndale (Ocean) 14-2
- Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks (Mission) 9-4
- Alemany of Mission Hills (Mission) 7-5
- Westlake of Westlake Village (Marmonte) 7-4
- Bishop Amat of La Puente (Mission) 9-2
- Long Beach Poly (Moore) 8-3
- Paramount (San Gabriel Valley) 7-5
- South Hills of West Covina (Hacienda) 14-1
- Chaminade of West Hills (Mission) 4-7
- Palos Verdes of Palos Verdes Estates (Bay) 9-5
- Valencia (Foothill) 7-4
- Pacifica of Oxnard (Pacific View) 11-2
- Glendora (Palomares) 11-2
ORANGE COUNTY PRESEASON TOP 20
- Mater Dei of Santa Ana (Trinity) 13-2
- JSerra of San Juan Capistrano (Trinity) 9-3
- Mission Viejo (South Coast) 6-6
- Corona del Mar of Newport Beach (Sunset) 11-2-1
- Servite of Anaheim (Trinity) 4-5
- La Habra (Freeway) 7-4
- Villa Park (Crestview) 12-1
- Los Alamitos (Sunset) 9-2-1
- Santa Margarita of Rancho Santa Margarita (Trinity) 3-7
- Orange Lutheran (Trinity) 5-6
- San Clemente (South Coast) 7-5
- Tesoro of Rancho Santa Margarita (South Coast) 6-5
- Edison of Huntington Beach (Sunset) 5-6
- San Juan Hills of San Juan Capistrano (Sea View) 8-4
- Western of Anaheim (Pac-4) 12-3
- Huntington Beach (Sunset) 6-5
- Yorba Linda (Crestview) 9-3
- St. Margaret’s of San Juan Capistrano (San Joaquin) 10-2
- Capistrano Valley of Mission Viejo (South Coast) 9-4
- Orange (Orange Coast) 8-3
SAN DIEGO PRESEASON TOP 20
- Cathedral Catholic of San Diego (Western) 12-2
- St. Augustine of San Diego (Western) 10-4
- Helix of La Mesa (Grossmont-Hills) 8-5
- Lincoln of San Diego (Western) 11-5
- Torrey Pines of San Diego (Avocado) 10-1
- Eastlake of Chula Vista Metro-Mesa) 10-2
- Mission Hills of San Marcos (Avocado) 5-7
- Madison of San Diego (Western) 6-5
- Steele Canyon of Spring Valley (Grossmont-Hills) 9-3
- La Costa Canyon of Carlsbad (Avocado) 6-4
- San Marcos (Avocado) 8-2
- Point Loma of San Diego (Western) 5-6
- Oceanside (Avocado) 6-6
- Poway (Palomar) 8-3
- Granite Hills of El Cajon (Grossmont-Hills) 10-2
- San Diego (City) 12-2
- Carlsbad (Avocado) 6-4
- Otay Ranch of Chula Vista (Metro Mesa) 6-5
- Morse of San Diego (Eastern) 9-5
- Vista (Palomar) 7-5